Let me start by saying it takes effort. It takes conscious intention but it isn’t “work” once you develop habits around living this way. Also, don’t shoot for perfection — it’s not real.
I learned LOTS about living the right way when I had cancer. I prayed and meditated my way through that whole year and during those meditations, I got LOTS of answers and LOTS of divine downloads as I like to call them.
These “downloads” consisted of tips that came through in such a strong way that I had no doubt about the message. They were answers about life and how I was supposed to move forward and live it. Not only live it, but live it the way I should have been living it all those years prior! But, I would have to let go, surrender and say goodbye to the old me and my old ways of thinking first. I give my tough love approach below because I love you!
Here are my most precious tips that bring value to my life:
1. Make time for self-care. Self-care is anything that takes care of YOU. Yep, just YOU. It’s not selfish, it’s a necessity. Let me repeat that, it’s a necessity. Self-care is the act of doing things that fill up your cup, bring you joy, allow you to rest or regroup. *essential for your health.
2. Eat whole, unprocessed foods. It should be a no-brainer, but apparently it’s not. Basically, stop eating crap. Do you know how many people I help with nutrition who just aren’t willing to do this? It is single-handedly one of the most effective ways to take your life to the next level! Eat foods as close to their natural state as possible. Do the work to find out which foods aren’t helping you and stop eating them. (an elimination diet helps). 80% of your health = proper nutrition and the other 20% = things like exercise, self-care, community, relationships, etc. Find healthier replacements for foods you consider cheat foods. Cut out dairy, it’s not made for humans. Cut out refined sugar (you won’t crave it after 3 days). Limit alcohol. Remember, I love you! *essential for your health.
3. Move your body. Find a way to move your body daily. If you don’t have time to workout (I don’t want to hear about it because if I, as a single mom who works full time can do it, so can you. And yeah….it’s hard). Do anything. Walk, take the stairs, park far away from the store. What I do specifically: I walk for 10 minutes, twice a day at work on breaks. I take the stairs every time I can. I do squats at my desk and pushups against my kitchen counter. I make time to walk 4 miles once a week on a weekend morning and maybe again during the week if I don’t have a conference call in the morning. I do a 10 minute HIIT workout 3 times a week, yoga at night occasionally and that’s it. Little bits here and there, when I have time (and sometimes I’m not successful). The rest is all nutrition, eating right and striving to drink 2 liters of water a day. And…since I’m eating like Jesus 80% of the time, I can afford to have a vegan/gluten free macaroon here and there. 🙂 *essential for your health.
4. Self-Development. I love self-help stuff. I think it’s amazing, helpful and allows you to expand beyond your self-made limitations. Also, I read that all successful people do self-development so I started doing it for that very reason. I listen to 2 hours of podcasts during my daily commute time. I watch YouTube videos and read books. It’s awesome. Spiritual growth is cool.
5. I’m grateful and mindful. I write in my gratitude journal daily, start each prayer without asking for something but saying thank you for something instead, I meditate and I’m mindful of my actions and attitude. If I notice I’m not in my “flow” state then I make some changes. I choose only funny or uplifting things to watch because your mind takes cues from what you watch, I try to stay away from gossip (I know, it’s hard, we all do it), and I surround myself with awesome high-vibe people. When I’m in a bad mood, I change it by listening to a good song, or watching something funny or being grateful. Works like a charm. If I start to feel like I am getting stressed, I adjust my reaction (meditation teaches you how to do this by re-wiring your brain which in turn, makes you a more peaceful, less reactive person). I love you! *essential for your health.
I don’t want to look back on my life and have regrets so I try my best to live each day with enthusiasm. I do the things I want to do NOW, visit the people I want to see NOW, and focus on the things that are important to me NOW. Who knows if you’ll get the chance to do them later, you know?
Bonus Tip– don’t overschedule and overload your life with too much. Say no more often. Leave room in your schedule for time to laugh and chill. It’s imperative.
There’s my blueprint! Hope it helps.
xoxo – Heather