Hi! Happy Spring.
Why do we always want to clean in Spring? Is it the fresh beginnings and new growth happening in nature that inspires us to start new?
I find it’s the perfect time to set ourselves up for the rest of the year and let go of all of the old, heavy energy of Winter. I try to practice these habits all year but here are some of my favorite Spring detox ideas below:
- Clear out your clutter. I’m not sure if you know this about me but I’m a huge fan of minimalism. I got on the bandwagon in 2014 and haven’t looked back since. It has changed my life on so many levels. I’ll go deeper on this topic in another post but for now lets focus on cleaning out our closets, cupboards, garage and any other areas with junk. Throw out all of that junk and items you want to donate and let’s march forward (get it….it’s March), and let’s bask in the lightness it brings.
- Do a 1-week food cleanse. I believe every Spring (and any other time of year you need), we should give our bodies a break from poor eating habits, bad digestion and wasted energy. I’m a huge fan of food detoxes because really, who enjoys starving? Eating plant-based for one week is my favorite suggestion for everyone since it re-calibrates your digestion, it lightens the load on your digestive system and it cleans you out from the inside out. Make sure to take a good probiotic while you’re doing this.
- Go on an adventure and do something fun. We’ve just been stuck indoors for how many months during Winter? Now it’s time to get outside and do something fun! Go somewhere, do something that makes you happy and really enjoy yourself because life is short.
- Do something outside of your comfort zone. I am a HUGE FAN of doing this. It will change your life on a deep level, overcoming fears and pushing yourself beyond your own self-limiting boundaries. Do it without thinking, just do it. That’s how I do it, because by nature, I’d want to be scared and hide but now I just force myself to do things that scare me and not look back.
I hope these ideas inspire you to take some action and start your Spring off with a bang.
Simply put: we are all made differently with different genes, lifestyles, diets, makeups, habits, bodies.
There is no correct diet for all- it doesn’t exist! Eating must be intuitive & planned in a way that supports YOU, no one else….and no that’s not a free pass to eat donuts.
We must eat with intention & eat for fuel. Our bodies are not garbage cans so it’s crucial we put good food into them.
Dr. Weil was one of my professors in nutrition school and he’s a really cool dude. I love his approach to Western Medicine and his open-mindedness to other philosophies. He has an amazing breathing technique that I wanted to share because it makes a huge difference in allowing space to open up inside your body. It’s great for relaxation, stress, anxiety and does wonders before sleep.
Link to Dr. Weil’s breathing technique
This has to be one of my favorite recipes that I’ve ever created! Who doesn’t love bruschetta? Since I can’t do grains or dairy, I turned this famous Italian appetizer into a stew instead.
1 block, Extra firm tofu (or shredded chicken)
1 can of organic chickpeas
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1.5 Cups cauliflower rice (pre-pulsed from Trader Joe’s)
1 segment of broccoli, cut up
1 tub of pre-diced bruschetta from Trader Joe’s- by the hummus (Green/Red tub)
Veggie broth, onion powder, corn meal, Dijon mustard, maple syrup
Now, I don’t really measure when I cook stews, I just eyeball it & go off taste so put all veggies in a large pot & fill the veggie broth enough that it covers half of you veggies. We will use the corn meal to thicken the broth later.
Next add around 1 TBL of onion powder & maple syrup. Add 2 TBL Dijon mustard. Cook over medium/high heat until it starts bubbling & then turn it down to Low, cover the pot & let it simmer for 20-25 minutes. Check the broth & if it’s watery, add in corn meal just a little at a time & stir. Watch for thickening & add more if need be until desired thickness is achieved. You shouldn’t need salt but feel free to use a pinch if you must.
That inner voice that’s been nagging at you to try something or do something? Now is that time. Live BIG. Go for it. Feel the fear and do it anyways. I’m doing it too!
Simple salad for lunch & homemade dressing. If there’s one thing important about salads…it’s to try to make your own dressings so you know what is in them. Greens are very low calorie foods but high in nutrients & phtyochemicals, so we need to be adding hearty goodness & healthy fats to our salads to ensure proper caloric intake.
Hi Friends! I have an incredible cookie recipe for you. Easy, 5 ingredients, Dairy-Free, Gluten/Grain Free, high in protein and amazing in taste.
- 1 Jar (16 oz) Cashew Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 TBL baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 C Coconut Nectar (coconut sugar)
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl (that’s literally all you have to do!). Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes on a greased cooking sheet or with parchment paper. I garnished the top of each cookie w/ 1-2 dairy-free chocolate chips. *They expand when they cook so leave room between cookies.*
As requested, my morning routine:
1. Immediately upon waking…think of something I’m grateful for
2. Listen to uplifting podcasts before work
3. Drink 36 oz. of water within 1-2 hours
4. Drink 1 cup of organic green tea (Numi brand is my fave)…
5. Be kind to people, smile and keep gratitude at the top of my mind
6. Try to find a good deed for the day to help others (thx, Dad!)
7. Start the day w/ smoothie or steel cut oats w/ nuts
8. Put on my favorite Pandora station and jam out some work
Do you have adrenal fatigue? This topic is super important and I love spreading awareness on it. We are bombarded by stresses, toxins and unhealthy sleep habits that are causing major problems in our bodies.
Why do we do this to ourselves? Not enough hours in the day? Work comes first? Too much on your plate? Read this great article for more info: Link Here
The tip of the day today is about castile soap! I am obsessed with this stuff and now you can be too. Did you know how versitle it is?? Check out the article below for secret tips!
I am LOVING snapchat. What a genius platform to share your moments in life! It’s fast, easy & doesn’t require editing like YouTube! Join me there- I love connecting with you! My username is: heatherjuliet