Hi! Happy Spring.
Why do we always want to clean in Spring? Is it the fresh beginnings and new growth happening in nature that inspires us to start new?
I find it’s the perfect time to set ourselves up for the rest of the year and let go of all of the old, heavy energy of Winter. I try to practice these habits all year but here are some of my favorite Spring detox ideas below:
- Clear out your clutter. I’m not sure if you know this about me but I’m a huge fan of minimalism. I got on the bandwagon in 2014 and haven’t looked back since. It has changed my life on so many levels. I’ll go deeper on this topic in another post but for now lets focus on cleaning out our closets, cupboards, garage and any other areas with junk. Throw out all of that junk and items you want to donate and let’s march forward (get it….it’s March), and let’s bask in the lightness it brings.
- Do a 1-week food cleanse. I believe every Spring (and any other time of year you need), we should give our bodies a break from poor eating habits, bad digestion and wasted energy. I’m a huge fan of food detoxes because really, who enjoys starving? Eating plant-based for one week is my favorite suggestion for everyone since it re-calibrates your digestion, it lightens the load on your digestive system and it cleans you out from the inside out. Make sure to take a good probiotic while you’re doing this.
- Go on an adventure and do something fun. We’ve just been stuck indoors for how many months during Winter? Now it’s time to get outside and do something fun! Go somewhere, do something that makes you happy and really enjoy yourself because life is short.
- Do something outside of your comfort zone. I am a HUGE FAN of doing this. It will change your life on a deep level, overcoming fears and pushing yourself beyond your own self-limiting boundaries. Do it without thinking, just do it. That’s how I do it, because by nature, I’d want to be scared and hide but now I just force myself to do things that scare me and not look back.
I hope these ideas inspire you to take some action and start your Spring off with a bang.
Hi Friends! I have an incredible cookie recipe for you. Easy, 5 ingredients, Dairy-Free, Gluten/Grain Free, high in protein and amazing in taste.
- 1 Jar (16 oz) Cashew Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 TBL baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 C Coconut Nectar (coconut sugar)
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl (that’s literally all you have to do!). Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes on a greased cooking sheet or with parchment paper. I garnished the top of each cookie w/ 1-2 dairy-free chocolate chips. *They expand when they cook so leave room between cookies.*
As requested, my morning routine:
1. Immediately upon waking…think of something I’m grateful for
2. Listen to uplifting podcasts before work
3. Drink 36 oz. of water within 1-2 hours
4. Drink 1 cup of organic green tea (Numi brand is my fave)…
5. Be kind to people, smile and keep gratitude at the top of my mind
6. Try to find a good deed for the day to help others (thx, Dad!)
7. Start the day w/ smoothie or steel cut oats w/ nuts
8. Put on my favorite Pandora station and jam out some work
Lavender oil has so many uses! It’s such a versatile oil. Here are my top 4 ways to use it:
1. Diffuse or spray on your pillow to enhance sleep quality.
2. One of the only safe oils for babies/kids. *Dillute* and use on bottom of feet to promote sleep. Diffuse in their room at night but put the diffuser across the room to make sure they don’t have a reaction. You never know!
3. Rub a drop in your temples for headaches or migraines.
4. Apply directly to burns/bites to soothe pain and aid in healing.
Hope you enjoy!
Do you have adrenal fatigue? This topic is super important and I love spreading awareness on it. We are bombarded by stresses, toxins and unhealthy sleep habits that are causing major problems in our bodies.
Why do we do this to ourselves? Not enough hours in the day? Work comes first? Too much on your plate? Read this great article for more info: Link Here
The tip of the day today is about castile soap! I am obsessed with this stuff and now you can be too. Did you know how versitle it is?? Check out the article below for secret tips!
I am LOVING snapchat. What a genius platform to share your moments in life! It’s fast, easy & doesn’t require editing like YouTube! Join me there- I love connecting with you! My username is: heatherjuliet
I am a smoothie freak! I also just realized this one does have 2 ingredients but I forgot that I added plant-based protein powder, so really…..it has 3!
I’ve been using one of the two combo’s:
Kale + Apple
Kale + Mango
Then I either add plain, vanilla or chocolate plant-based protein powder depending on my mood. Which ones you ask? Either OrGain, SunWarrior, Amazing Grass or Growing Naturals. All available at health food stores & Heather approved.
Summer is one of my favorite seasons….Fall being the other if I had to pick. I think it’s the fact that I love being warm and the warmer weather just suits me better.
I put together some of my summer faves so I’ll get right down to sharing!
1. Fruit! – I always start my day with fresh, organic fruit. After I eat my fruit, I usually eat some gluten free steel cut oats or a smoothie. Refreshing, so good for you, hydrating and good for your digestion.
2. Aviator Sunglasses – I never liked aviators until I found a pair that fit my small face! They always looked gigantic on me and then I found a pair of Tommy Hilfiger ones at TJ Maxx that were extra small! I love them since they have thin stems that allow me to wear them under a hat and they don’t give me a headache like most other sunglasses that have thick and bulky stems.
3. 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Blush – I am obsessed with this beauty brand. They are the caliber of quality I look for when I need makeup since I can’t use traditional, chemical-laden products. They have amazing makeup made with fruit pigments and it’s surprisingly long-lasting. They also do skincare, haircare and a baby line! They have an online store as well as select store fronts in major cities.
4. Book: The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks – I know, totally cheesy Nicholas Sparks book but I actually enjoyed this one. I haven’t read a whole ton of his books because they usually aren’t my cup of tea but this one is about a hot bull rider/cowboy, come on! I also saw the movie which I really enjoyed as well.
5. Favorite Smoothie Recipe – I made a smoothie a month ago that knocked my socks off. I don’t know if it was because I’ve never really used this in a smoothie but I was amazed at the flavor. I’m pretty gaga over papayas. I LOVE them. I let one ripen very well and then mixed with with 1 cup of pineapple chunks, coconut water and a gala apple. It’s so simple that it’s hard to believe how amazing it was, but it was! Try it out this summer. Papayas are usually ripe and ready when they are softer to the touch and start to give off their natural papaya smell.
Hope you enjoy! xoxo
Have you ever wondered what foods can give us the best chance of having great skin? Below, are some awesome skin foods that will support your skin health, give you a healthier glow and nourish you from the inside out.
SALMON – Wild caught is always best, although there are select farms out there who do have good farming practices, but you need to do your research first. Salmon is full of omega fatty acids and it has huge anti-inflammatory compounds. Steer clear drenching it in fatty sauce and just stick to sea salt, pepper and lemon juice.
PUMPKIN SEEDS – These babies are packed with Zinc, which is necessary for cell renewal and protecting your precious cell membranes.
BLUEBERRIES – One of the anti-oxidant leaders, these berries will protect us from free radicals and help slow signs of aging. Just be sure they’re organic!
SPINACH – One of my personal faves, these greens also pack a powerful anti-oxidant punch and protect our bodies and skin from free radicals (which cause premature aging and come from everywhere….cars, environment, stress). I put raw, organic spinach in my daily smoothies and I usually eat it for lunch in my salad too. I can’t get enough!
LEMON – Lemons are gentle detoxifier’s and work at aiding your blood and liver to naturally cleanse themselves. I have a warm cup of water with lemon every single morning and I usually refill it a few times throughout the day. It helps to alkalize the body as well.
Every area of our face is divided into sections and linked to a certain system or organ in our body. So if we’re having trouble with digestion or hormones or stress, it will show up on our faces as acne. It’s important to strive to feed ourselves the most fresh, organic and natural foods that we can. By decreasing fried foods, sugar, dairy and processed and packaged foods, our skin will start to repair itself and the transformation will shock you!
I’m very excited today! It’s hard to find a good protein shake that is certified organic, non-GMO and hypoallergenic (Dairy-Soy-Gluten Free). While at Whole Foods today, I found this Orgain brand protein shake AND it actually tastes good. I had the smooth chocolate flavor.
It contains 16 grams of plant based protein and doesn’t have any crazy herbs in it like all other brands so it’s pretty safe for pregnant women as well.
If you’re looking for extra protein, a good supplement or a pre/post workout booster, give it a try!